Sunday 16 October 2011

The unspoken Bond

Ever wondered why the companies especially BPOs force people to sign up bonds. I personally have one such experience where I was left with no other choice but to break it.


The companies that were into this business spend lots to train people who do not have any idea about a BPO until they get into it. Not that blaming it, I have personally seen people from various walks of life into the profession by compulsion, others by choice.


The criteria set for entering into the profession is liberal. Anyone who can handle a computer, has any bachelor's degree and who has a good fluency in English are welcome. I knew one person who had her bachelors in 'Nutrition and Dietetics', a widow with an adopted son to look after, a married woman who was away from her home for work, a new married lady, a rich girl who had a boy friend (they were sneaking because of her father who spied on them), so many others like me who just completed their college and waiting for a break through.


Good part about being in a BPO is that you get a job instantly, provided you fulfil the eligibility criteria. We learn neutral accent and get to know English better, we are taught how to put correct english in use. Gain confidence, when we communicate full time and when that was our profession. Good social recognition as people really can't distinguish between a BPO and an IT job though you explain to them, ultimately it is the company with which people recognize you. Learn american accent at the cost of the company and good perks to keep you going.


Let's look at the other side of the coin. I was very comfortable in the general shifts but when I had my evening shifts, I started deviating from the normal life. I wanted to sleep during the day but I had to break up for breakfast, lunch and that's it my sleep is disrupted and the next day starts from the very  evening. I go on like this with a disrupted sleep everyday and the routine goes on, finally one day I was totally fed up with what I was doing. I was depressed, easily irritated and wanted the normal life badly. I made up my mind to quit what I was doing, I wanted to get into a job just like every one else that does not demand me to work late hours. There was one thing that stopped me from quitting, yes it was the 'Bond' that I had signed with them.


Though I broke the bond and reasoned that I cannot be forced into shifts just because I attend a walk-in one fine day and they offer me a letter which stated a thousand rules, then asked me sign so as to not break the rules for one full year? They got to be kidding me, I was strong at my point and did not give up, I called it quits, it was hardly 2 months that made me realise I should have got into an IT profession. It is still a nightmare when I recall about the BPO, I joined first. I know so many who quitted sooner than they have really thought.


I have been into the IT profession for more than 6 years and there have never been a bond in the place I work. When people get really comfortable with the work culture, there is nothing stopping them. Its up to the individual who makes a choice between money and a balanced life. I am happy that I have an unspoken bond with my current employer and there has been no compulsion ever. 

2 comments:

  1. is it just no compulsion ever or more like 'no work' ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is no need to compel me to work coz i do it everytime :)

    ReplyDelete