Tuesday 18 October 2011

Trust - need of the hour

I trust my friends more than my own instinct. Many a time, i get through fine but sometimes i just make a blunder, a real one.

During the onsite term (London), on one cheerful day, i had a discussion with my friend about how soon the onsite term is going to end in a few weeks. My friend suggested me to put forward the request to my Manager(who was at offshore, India) for extending the term for maybe a couple of months. I had no experience of pleading with the managers, I am certainly not good at that. I always wanted the management to be fair and judgemental, which never happened. 

I was too distracted to work, so wanted to write a letter to my Manager first and then continue with what i was doing. I typed in a few lines without much thought and sent it to my friend for a review so he could pour in some ideas before sending the request. Few seconds passed by and there it was, the reviewed email. I read it once, added my signature and then pressed the SEND button. I was not concentrating and was still lost in thought. I wondered what my Manager was doing out there without even replying to my email (LOL).

I am not sure if i had worked after sending the email but eagerly awaited a reply from her. I forwarded that email to my friend and told him that she was yet to reply. I got back a mail, not from the Manager but from my friend sitting in the same office (guy who reviewed the email), stating that he was not that dumb to believe that i had sent that email. That email came as a puzzle to me, wondering what he was trying to say. Was he kidding me or was it about the onsite term? With a low energy, I replied back to him asking, what was wrong with that email.

My friend rushed to my seat agitated and asked me again, i showed him the email from the sent items, he could not believe his eyes and you should have seen the expression in his face, it was like £$%^^$$$%&&****(( . He made me recall the message and I was trying to get her on the phone as I was scared that she would have been pissed off seeing the email. After an hour's try, I got her on the phone and she was talking to me with a pleasant tone after coming back from a meeting. She had a very good attitude and smiled saying that she will delete the email without even reading it. 

The email i sent was


"I was expecting an extension of 3 (or 4 or whatever number you want to say) 

months atleast. I have got a promotion only after 3.5 years and getting a

decent salary (I guess there is no better phrase) only now."


Only later I realised that I was supposed to modify the text in brackets with an exact number. I wondered what would have she thought if she had read the text in braces especially, that goes like this, "

"I guess there is no better phrase"  ; "whatever number you want to say"  ROFL :)))

Can you now understand how I trusted him blindly. Fact is, he never reviews my email from then on ;o)

Take Away:
Stay vigilant, you never know what's in store for you if you aren't paying attention!!! 


2 comments:

  1. the last line of the story is not entirely true... I guess you did the same thing once again, if I remember it right :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember it.. gimme a clue

    ReplyDelete