Sunday 9 October 2011

Pick up point

Way back in 2004, i was fresh out of college and was desperate to get into a job (IT was prestigious those days). I however cracked most of the BPO interviews with no great effort, seemed it was my cup of tea. We were out on training for about 45 days and it all started very well. New friends, new office experiences, an awesome feeling of being one of them. Why not, it felt great to be a part of an IT giant.


Fun part about training was playing all sorts of interesting games that enabled us to communicate with each other, movies to grasp the accent as part of 'Voice and accent' training, we were totally on the so-called 'honeymoon period', well that's how they actually call a training period.  I thought i was going to be way too far in the industry. I was wrong, though i had all qualities to get in to the BPO sector i was not used to the grave yard shifts. I was put into shifts whilst in training to get used to it. I leave at 6 pm for work and come back by 4 am in the morning, it was exciting at first but gradually i realised that all nice things were nice only for a few days. 


I am not going to explain what happened in the BPO or how well the training went on etc (I can hear you already mumbling), this blog isn't about that. Just when the training in the evening shifts were about to start from the very next day, one of the trainers came into the room and started calling out the employee ids asking for details of where each one of us stay and where are we comfortable getting into a cab.


I was staying in the heart of the city, Royapettah. As you know, it is the place where you have Satyam Cinemas, Government hospital, the post office and especially Mount road just around the corner. We had access to everything and our favourite places were the famous Ponnusamy hotel and the beach nearby.


Ok, back to the point where was i? ok the cab thing. My turn came and i was rehearsing it in my mind for a few times so as to not mess it up, you know it was about 3 in the morning. I was not sleepy but kind of drowsy, imagine the time of the night, i was totally out of control, just wanted to sleep right off. My id was called out and i said in a not so loud voice, but everyone could hear me. Suddenly there was a roar of laughter that i was totally shocked and felt embarrassed. The trainer himself was laughing and i was beginning to smile realizing what would have made them laugh.


I had uttered 'Royapettah Police Station' :)


Guys, i was serious i stayed close to a school but i do have to get a bus only from the 'not just any bus stop' but the police station bus stop. 

5 comments:

  1. TO which police station now ur moved 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. there was a mortuary in the same street as the bus stop. what would have happened if i had said 'Mortuary'... LOL :)

    ReplyDelete