Saturday 15 October 2011

Learning - comes with a hefty package

We learn from our mistakes. I have had so many learnings, some were out of embarrassment, few out of sympathy and others might have been due to the experience of it. 

I love to travel in the City buses, the most important reason being safety and it comes very cheap. On one such day after a hectic schedule at office, i was on my way back home. I got into the bus at Mount Road with one of my friend. As you are aware, Mount road is at the center of the city and the bus was heavily crowded. My friend and I managed to get some space in the bus, it is a known fact that if you manage to travel in a city bus (never mind how you get some breathing space, push others here and there, stamp their feet intentionally or unintentionally, be so rude to people standing next to you, this will scare the hell out of them and they will keep a safe distance) and get used to it, you have already learned to adapt to the city life.

We did not try any of stunts stated above, but still managed to get into the bus and got two tickets to 'parrys corner'. Trust me it was only 2 rupees to travel from Mount Road to Parrys corner, didn't i say safety and travel comes with a very cheap package. We were chatting and smiling about something, that i was totally lost in the conversation when suddenly I  remembered that i had promised to get a book my sister had requested. So I told my friend that I had to get down at the Central bus stop, that being my top priority the other day. Before getting down I handed over one of the tickets to my friend instructing her to keep it safe. Before I got down she thanked me for being with the 'presence of mind', if not she would have been in real trouble. 

I got down from the bus and headed towards the Central Station where there were numerous shops with all sorts of books ranging from kinder garden to competitive examinations at a very cheap price. I was walking really fast to get there before it becomes too late, I have heard that place was not so safe to hang around in the evening especially when there is no company. I was hurrying towards one book shop when I heard someone shouting. I turned back and saw my bus was still held up and was puzzled, later I figured out that the 'Checker' (auditor for transport) was calling me. He asked me for the ticket and I found that I did not have it. I told them I threw it away just a couple of seconds before even they called me.  I was searching it among the tickets that were torn at the bus stop, but in vain. 

The bus had already left by the time I came, so nobody came to my rescue except for a few audiences who enjoyed watching the scene. I was not surprised that they did not believe me, I thought maybe they would have come across so many real fraudsters. They had a suspicious look and whenever I gave a reason, they gave a nod of rejection. I had to wind it up soon because I was so embarrassed being questioned like an accused. I did not want to waste my time and energy and then went straight to the point, 'How much is the fine?'. They did not expect this question from me and was quite astonished. If truth be known, I was almost in the verge of crying, but did ensure that I was quite bold before them. I took out a '500' rupee note and gave it straight to the team and they gave me another ticket for 100 which was supposed to be the fine. 

This was a learning at the cost of my dignity. I still love to travel in the buses and I make it a point to keep the ticket safe, not until I get down from the bus, but for a few minutes until the bus leaves and ensuring that there are no one to check it. After all, I can't face such an embarrassment again.

2 comments:

  1. The ticket inspectors are extremely rude in both trains and buses. They target only innocent, young girls and guys who look rich for inspection. They ignore people who actually do not have a valid ticket as they would not be able to afford to pay the fine or the bribe. A few days before, a girl and a guy in the first class compartment of the train had a second class ticket. The guy tried to plead and reason with the inspector and was fined Rs.257 and the ticket, receipt for fine was given to him. But the inspector took the girl's season pass and asked her to follow him out of the train at the next stop. He threatened her with fine but tell her the amount. While she pleaded, he , looked at her maliciously and just asked her to follow him to his office, wherever that is. We were helpless to stop him as the girl simply walked out begging him for her pass. We had no idea what happened thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen people caught when they did not have a valid ticket, mine was a pathetic situation. I couldn't help myself the other day... people standing next to me were encouraging me to be honest if i did not get a ticket. that's when i lost my patience with them.

    ReplyDelete